WhatsApp call button

A Guide to the Consumer Unit

Below you can find out more about consumer units and the different components involved; from the Mains switches to the bus bar and much more, read on and find out about the consumer unit. 

However, before we begin this blog post if you would like to contact us here at NDCL Electrical & Property Maintenance, simply give us a call via our phone number 07716848802. Our services are available throughout Chesterfield, Clowne, Worksop, Sheffield, Matlock, Darley Dale, Alfreton, Heanor, Ripley, Ilkeston, Nottingham, South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. 

RCD's (Residual Current Devices) 

RCD's are what turn the power off in your home immediately after an electrical fault is identified. Thus, stopping you from receiving a fatal electrical shock by touching a live wire. This component of the consumer unit monitors the flow of electricity in your home. Another point to mention about RCD's is that as of 2008, all homes must have RCD's fitted for safety purposes. 

Mains Switches

As for the mains switches, this component controls the supply of electricity in your home. In the event of an emergency, this component should be switched off. Also, if you didn't know, this component controls the other components in the consumer unit.

Circuit Breakers 

Circuit breakers are another component of the consumer unit that we would like to mention. Firstly, each property has roughly six circuits; each circuit being controlled by a circuit breaker. Similar to RCD's (mentioned above), circuit breakers trip and turn off when discovering an electrical fault. Why? To prevent you from receiving an electrical shock. When a circuit breaker does trip, you can switch it back on; however, it is advised that you have an electrician take a look to find out where the fault is.

Bus Bar

The final component of the consumer unit to mention in this blog post is the bus bar. The bus bar essentially locks the other components in place and is a long strip of copper with teeth. In addition to this, the bus bar is only seen by electricians working on the consumer unit.

So, now that you know more about the components involved in the consumer unit, why not get in touch with us about our services? You can find out more about our services by visiting the services page

Get in touch for our Services

You can get in touch with us a number of ways here at NDCL Electrical & Property Maintenance. Firstly, you can simply call us on, 07716848802 or send us an email via our email address at, ndclmaintenance@gmail.com. Alternatively, if you would much prefer, you can use the contact form on our website. On that note, thank you for taking the time to read our blog post.